Iran’s nuclear facility hit by a blackout.
Image Credit: AP
Early on Sunday, Natanz nuclear facility was hit by a blackout damaging thousands of centrifuges due to an explosion. Yesterday, Iran celebrated nuclear technologies day as they displayed Iran’s nuclear achievements on national television. Iranian authorities condemned the Sunday ‘attack’ as a terrorist attack intending to hinder the nuclear facility function. The underground nuclear facility has been targeted by several attacks in the last few years, most recently last year when an explosion struck an industrial shed that was under construction.
The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), Ali Akbar Salehi said,
The act against the Natanz nuclear enrichment centre shows the defeat of the opponents of the country’s industrial and political advancements in preventing the nuclear industry’s significant development.Ali Akbar Salehi
Mr. Salehi went on further and blamed the attack on those that do not want the Iranian nuclear deal and the lifting of US sanctions.
While condemning this desperate move, the Islamic Republic of Iran emphasises the need for a confrontation by the international bodies and the (International Atomic Energy Agency) against this nuclear terrorism.Ali Akbar Salehi
After the explosion at the facility last year, Iran believed that internal agents have been responsible. For this reason, Iran refrained from giving additional information about the blackout but they said that the attack did not cause any casualties.
A spokesman for the United Nations watchdog said,
We are aware of the media reports. We have no comment at this stage.UN nuclear watchdog spokesman.