Indian and Chinese troops clash in Sikkim.
Image Credit: PTI File
In a statement on Monday, the Indian army said that there was a clash between Indian and Chinese troops in North Sikkim on January 20, 2021. The clash resulted in a several injured troops, but it is not known yet if there were any casualties. The face-off was resolved by local commanders of both sides. The Indian statement said,
It is clarified that there was a minor face-off at Naku La area of North Sikkim on 20 January 2021 and the same was resolved by local commanders as per established protocolsIndian Army Statement.
Sikkim, an Indian state, is sandwiched between Nepal and Bhutan in Eastern Himalayas, and borders China in the North and India in the South. The minor clash seem to have started when a Chinese patrol attempted to enter the Indian territory from the North, and the Indian army promptly pushed them back.
China and India have been in a tense standoff since April last year. Six months ago a deadly clash between the two sides in the Galwan Valley in Ladakh, escalated tensions to a point that both countries started deploying heavy military equipment near the border, in preparation for any attack. Read more about the deadly clash of June 2020, which left multiple casualties here:
1 Comment »